Over the past weekend we were planning on getting the engine back together but it was too humid to do any painting so we had to hold off on that project. We decided to remove the front rug from Trip so we have access to the top of the transmission. We then proceeded to remove the dash to see how hard it will be to swap from the original FJ60 dash to the FJ62 dash we purchased. We decided to go with a FJ62 dash because of the nice built in 2 bay area for a radio, navigation system and backup camera. Plus we just preferred the look of the FJ62 Dash. Looks like we will be swapping over the bottom dash crossmember and the dash pad. Some of the venting will need some tweeking to make it work with what we have in the truck.
Well over the weekend of July 19th we were able to work more on the dash conversion. We removed the steering column. Then we removed the bottom dash cross member and replaced it with the darker brown FJ62 cross member. While the steering wheel is out we decided to replace the u-joint that is closest to the fire wall and also removed the FJ60 steering wheel and replace it with the FJ62 wheel. The u-joint is the same as ones used in older Toyota Corollas 68ish drive shafts ( talk about overbuilt). Waiting on the u-joint to show up as i ordered it online so we can re install the steering column. Fitted the FJ62 Dash pad looks like some of the duct work will need to be changed that goes to the vents … looking for some fj62 duct pipes now if we cant find that or it doesn’t work we can just make some of out own.
Saturday August 16th we were able to get the new u-joint replaced in the steering wheel and get the steering wheel back in. There is a rubber boot that I need to purchase that goes between the steering box and the steering shaft. While the steering wheel was out we replaced the FJ60 gas petal with the FJ62 gas petal … we needed to fab up a little bracket to do the swap. Also got Trip the truck ready to move to our friend Shawns house where the swap will take place.